Pragmatic Portraits – Live Online Class – 8th April 2021
Learn to sketch simple portraits
...for sketchnoting, graphic recording, UX storyboarding or just for fun
In this 2h live online class we’ll look at the subject of drawing simple but effective portraits. The class is hands-on, inviting you to draw along while I demonstrate and explain my process for capturing likeness with just a few simple strokes.
Topics we’ll address during the class are
- Understanding the general structure and proportions of the face
- Observing, simplifying and drawing facial features, hairstyles, and special attributes to capture likeness
- Playing with various parameters that make our drawings look more like the original face
- Exploring factors that make faces look younger or older, more female or male
- Drawing faces from the front, in semi-profile and in profile
- Sketching at different levels of fidelity and how fidelity influences likeness
- And finally, developing our own little sketched selfie
Who is this masterclass for?
This class will be right for you if
- You do sketchnotes or graphic recordings and you struggle with sketching simple but nice portraits of speakers
- You want to sketch believable simple portraits for your UX personas or UX storyboards
- You just want to improve your sketching skills and have fun with drawing little portraits of your friends and family
Just have a look at the example pictures to get an idea about the type of portraits we are aiming for :)
When, where and what?
The masterclass takes place on Thursday 8th of April 2021, 7:00pm - 9.00pm (Berlin time, CEST).
Session times according to your time zone:
Mainland Europe (CEST): 19:00h - 21:00h
UK (BST): 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
US East coast (EDT): 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM
US West coast (PDT): 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- 2 hours of live Zoom class
- Recording of the class (accessible for 3 months after the class)
- A PDF with all my drawings done during the class
What happens after I buy the class?
After buying the session(s) you will receive a confirmation email of your purchase. You will then receive a separate email with all the information about how to log-in to the live session(s). If you don’t receive this information email within 2 hours of purchase, please send an email to email@example.com with your order number and email address so I can take care of it and send you the information separately (please also check your SPAM folder first).
Will there be a recording?
Yes, a recording will be available to you for 3 months after the class.
What do you need to participate?
This workshop is taught online via video conference with Zoom. You will need a computer or mobile device with a fast and stable internet connection. Once you signed up, you’ll get an email with detailed instructions for how to connect.
To follow along with the sketching, you’ll just need some simple stationary items:
- Plain white paper (simple A4 or letter sized printer paper is great)
- a black pen (that you enjoy drawing or writing with)
a light grey pen or a pencil
- a coloured pen (optional)
Again, you’ll get all the details in an email, when you sign-up.
Bring a friend for 25% off
Drawing together is twice the fun :)
As a special offer, when you sign up, you can invite a friend to sign-up as well for 25% off.
To get this offer, just sign up for the class and send me an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the name and email address of the friend who would like to sign up as well. I will send them a personalised discount code for 25% off the price.